Look at yourself in the mirror. Go on, just do it.
What do you see?
Do you see someone who is totally in touch with their lifestyle goals and aspirations? Someone who regularly takes the time to stop and smell the roses?
Or, do you see someone who never seems to have a settled moment? Someone whose existence means negotiating the mind-numbing fast track from morning to night?
When I took the ‘mirror test’ I didn’t like what I saw. I decided to do something about it; something to free myself from the busy rat race so that I could truly reap the benefits of life.
I like to call this shift Living a Charmed Life. (Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?)
I intentionally left the promotional business milieu to pursue a more meaningful existence – to create my own charmed life, if you will. I have been blessed to be surrounded by many great people, both employees and customers, so I want to share what it means, to me, to live a charmed life. At the same time, I hope that I can encourage others to begin living their own charmed lives.
I’ve decided to use these eight steps to help me live that charmed life. What I have compiled is not so much a list, but rather a set of eight moments in one’s life that we encounter daily. It is in these moments that you can choose to do what you’ve always done, or to make a change.
Try these today:
- Be Curious. Let your inquisitiveness run wild. It’s easy to take many things for granted, but if you think about it, there are many opportunities every day where you can indulge your curiosity. And don’t worry, you’re not being rude, so nothing to feel guilty about. You’re demonstrating that you have a thirst for knowledge and an inquiring mind.
- Be Grateful. If you really think about it, lots of good things happen to us each and every day. Make a point of recognizing those moments. All too often we let them slip by. Start changing that.
- Live in the Now. This might be easier said than done in the hectic world we find ourselves in. But it can be accomplished. At times, take a step back, put down your phone. Look around you. Take a deep breath. You get the idea.
- Be Accepting. Don’t be so quick to judge. After all, we’re all different, aren’t we? Who are we to size up another person – or situation – and pass willy-nilly judgment?
- Be Intentional. This can be a tough one. We are all responsible for our words or actions, and sometimes we react without much forethought. Try to change that.
- Be Giving. As Winston Churchill once said, “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” Feel free to give something small which may have a big impact on someone’s spiritual life, such as our mala beads.
- Listen to Hear. Too often, people seem to be listening, but really aren’t. They have their own agenda and are simply biding time until they can get their own points across. We can all stop doing that. We can all try to be more attentive to others.
- Delight in Life. This is my favorite. When you get right down to it, we all live in an amazing world. No argument there, right? We can all take pleasure in every life experience that comes our way – every day.
So, there you have it. Eight simple actions you can experience today to help you create your very own charmed life – the world you want to see.